June 3, 2010

Hook. And we’re not talking pirates.

Sunday morning, I went on an early fishing trip (early being 5AM – fun!) with Joe and my dad on my dad’s boat.

My dad has been fishing since he was in utero, so he goes fishing A LOT. Joe loves to fish as well so they go together often. I enjoy fishing in small doses, but I’m not as insane in love with fishing as they are, so I had never gotten up at the crack of dawn wait – 6:30AM is the crack of dawn around these parts in June… so that makes 5AM… the back of the knee? Okay - I have never gotten up at the back of the knee of dawn to go fishing before.

I decided it was time. They wanted me to go. My mom offered to keep the girls overnight so we didn’t have to wake them up early at the ankles of dawn. Most importantly, my dad promised me that we could stop at a gas station on the way so I could get some of those little chocolate donuts that are kind of plastic-y but you can’t stop eating them.

We get to the lake, go out in the boat, and start fishing. I’m having fun. My dad is having fun, Joe is having fun.

Now, I must warn you… if you have a weak stomach, you may want to skip this next part and go straight to the pictures. Except skip the first picture.

We have been there 20 minutes. Joe catches a fish. It’s a fairly big bass. He pulls it up on the boat. It flops around. As he reaches for it, it spits the bait out, causing the pole to fall back and bounce, or something (it happened so fast), and the crank bait he had been using swung up at his face really hard. It hit right on his nose, and one of the two treble hooks went straight into the skin in the middle of his nose (the part where witch doctors put a bone through).

It was lodged in there really good. Treble hooks look like this:

trebleSee the barbs? Basically, once it goes in, it gets stuck and it’s hard to get it back out. Think about it. Or don’t, if you have a weak stomach but ignored my warning ;)

Joe doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal. In fact, as my dad and I are freaking out, Joe picks the fish up, with the bait hanging out of his nose, and says, “Is it a keeper?”

He sits down and tries to get the hook out. He says it doesn’t hurt. I see blood but not a lot. Being the blogger that I am, I took a picture.

IMG_6882edit

After about 3 minutes of him pulling on the hook and my dad and I looking the other way trying not to throw up, he asks for the needle-nosed pliers. He then started trying to pull the hook out with them.

I don’t know about you, but if a hook goes in my nose, I am not about to touch it myself, and I don’t know if I would let anyone else touch it either. I’m shivering and cringing here just typing this out.

My dad started to pack up the poles. He and I were both sure we were headed to the emergency room. Joe wasn’t convinced. He continued to try to dislodge the hook.

After a few more minutes of us wondering how much longer he was going to try this, I heard a loud pop sound – my dad later described it as what it would sound like if you flicked a ripe watermelon- and Joe said, “It’s out!”

Besides a little soreness, and a drop of blood, he was fine.

My dad said that while he was trying to decide whether we should leave, he said to himself, “If anyone can pull a treble hook out of their nose, it’s Joe.” It’s true… he’s tougher than concrete. I always joke with him that he is made of a different material than everyone else.

After that excitement, we were SUPER careful with our hooks and had a great time. I caught 4, Joe caught 4, and my dad caught 5.

I normally wouldn’t post a picture of me looking like a 14-year-old girl scout, but the other 2 pictures of me were worse. This is the biggest fish I caught.IMG_6885edit We saw a Great Blue Herron on the bank with a big fish in it’s mouth. I took a picture of it flying across the lake.IMG_6897edit We loved these little trees by the bank. Anyone know what this is called?IMG_6899edit My dad’s biggest fish. Fun fact: He has had that hat since I was 3. I wish I had inherited his gift of making stuff last FOREVER.IMG_6901edit

Joe nose how to fish.

The day before we went, a 23-year-old Iraq veteran drowned while swimming. They were still searching for his body, unfortunately. This is a news crew that had been interviewing the search team on the dock.IMG_6903edit

And here is a search team driving back out to look some more.IMG_6902edit As far as I know, they still haven't found him :(

And that was the end of our trip.

14 comments:

Missie said...

OMG! Can you say freak accident. Poor Joe.

I love fishing but haven't done it for a couple of years.

Loved the pics (except the one with Joe and the hook) LOL

Susie said...

Glad to see that Joe is ok. That would have freaked me out too.

Ali said...

OMG.

That is all.

Family-Friendly Product Reviews said...

Happy Friday! I'm your newest follower!

If you get a chance, please follow me too at:
http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Fishing is fun but in the nose! OUCH
Yes, that would make me sick...
Happy Follow Friday!
Following your blog, come follow mine :)
XOXO
Frenchy

Stephanie said...

Oh no I soooo would have had to leave when that hook happened! Let me tell you when I was little - probably 10 or so - my grandfather took me fishing at the beach where he lives. I threw my pole back getting ready to put it in the water and a kid was right behind me. I hooked him right in the eyelid-my grandfather got it out but he wasn't happy with me by any means :) Scary! I don't fish anymore!!! HaHa

That's horrible about the swimmer-tragic!!!!

As for your dad-that hat totally doesn't look like it's been around since you were 3...he does a good job of keeping things up :)

Cakes & Beans said...

I am your newest follower- LOVE IT!! Happy Follow friday- come check us out too!!

-stephanie- said...

Wow, what a post! Horrible and fun all at the same time.

Lily Dawn said...

Oh wow!! nice pictures =) We just went on a hiking/fishing trip too, unfortunately I didn't catch anything- Still fun though =)
Nice to meet you from NFF =)

Lily
http://bilslandfamily.blogspot.com/2010/06/few-good-men.html

Kaileigh said...

OMG.... the hook thing is one of my worst fishing fears!!! Glad he was okay!

I was cracking up about the plastic chocolate donuts... LOL the crumb ones taste really waxy too!!

Lindsay said...

I threw up a little bit in my mouth, but not until the part where you described the sound of it popping as he finally got it out. Yuck. I could have NEVER removed that myself and I would have been in full on panic mode if someone else was trying to help me too!

Holly said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe it got caught in his nose!!!

Tiffany Lockette said...

Ummm OUCH!! Joe is tough. I'm pretty sure I would have been in tears. You should buy Joe a helmet as a gag gift for Father's Day to wear out on his next fishing venture!

Tiffany said...

Wow I don't know how he got that out of his nose w/out cutting the barb off, but ouch! If I tried to take a pic like that of my husband, my camera would have probably ended up in the water. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...