August 17, 2009

Birthday Banner

I decided to make my own birthday banner for Summer and Camryn's polka dot birthday party this coming Saturday. I had seen quite a few on different blogs, and figured I could handle it. I am so glad I did, I think it turned out great!



To make your own banner:

1. Choose scrapbook paper in the color scheme of your choice. I bought a package of Martha Stewart paper at Wal-Mart.

2. Choose a font to use for your letters. I wanted large letters so I used a digital scrapbooking font that I had downloaded to my computer. I enlarged the letters in a word-processing program, and printed them off. Cut them out and set them aside.

3. Use something to trace circles on the back of the scrapbook paper that you are going to use. Depending on the size you want, you should be able to get 2-4 circles with each paper. I used a toddler bowl to trace, and I got 4 circles per page. Cut them out.

4. Use the same circular object, or one slightly bigger if you want a border around your circles, to trace circles out of card-stock (paper that is a bit thicker than printer paper). Use a glue stick to glue the card-stock circles to the back of the patterned circles. This will strengthen the banner and help prevent the circles from bending.

5. Glue the letters you cut out to the center of the patterned circles.

6. Use a hole puncher to punch a hole on either side of your circles. Try to get the holes right in the center of either side so that when strung together, the letters will be straight.

7. Take thin ribbon that matches your paper, and cut them into 4 inch pieces. Use the ribbon to tie each circle to the next. Don't pull too tight, it could rip the hole.

8. Attach a longer ribbon to the outside of the banner to use for hanging. You're done!



14 comments:

Susie said...

That is so cute. You are so talented in everything that you do.

Monica said...

I LOVE it! You should do an etsy shop. I wish I had time to craft. But I'm so busy these days, I don't know if I'm coming or going. And I can't see that changing until I graduate school... sigh.

Bridgett said...

That looks incredible, Steph! Monica is right. Maybe an Etsy shop is the way to go! You could offer all your stuff...your shirts, your diaper cakes, party decorations, probably even your layouts!

Etsy is REALLY popular these days.

Can't wait to see everything else for the party....

Chantelle said...

Etsy may be a good way to go! The banner is really cute!! I love artistic stuff, I love to draw and paint, etc, but I just don't have the time anymore :(

Stephanie said...

Steph those are great!!!!! You did a wonderful job!

I miss having the time to craft...it'll come again someday but things are crazy now :)

carolinagirl said...

this is so cute!!! i love it!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

The best part is that you can use it every year! Very cute.

amanda said...

banner looks great! if you plan on doing it for 'business'...you need a cricut. it saves SO much time. feel free to drive hours and hours to come over and use mine if you'd like. ;0) i love the cricut! :0) and you technically could use it as a business deduction? :0)

Easton wife said...

So crafty!

Molly said...

Very cute! Thanks for the directions.

JBGRIGS said...

very cute :)

Stephy said...

Looks so cute!!
Awesome job!

Calla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Calla said...

Stopping by from FTLOB most viewed fun post :) LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! it is so cute, and seems so simple to do! I will definitely be trying it for an upcoming event. Thanks for sharing! :)

-CMD
http://mylifeasahockeywife.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...